Wednesday, September 22, 2010

3rd Grade

A little late for the first day of school post, but better late than never. Jack LOVES 3rd grade. He was a bit nervous, because he thought the homework was going to be really really hard. I had a talk with him about the workbooks he had done this summer - they were 3rd grade level, and they weren't hard. Good ol' Jack came back to me and quickly agreed that he is very smart and very good at things like math, spelling, and science. He was a little disappointed that none of his friends were in his class, but got over that quickly too - he can still play with them at recess.

He was most excited about his shirt. If you can't read it, it says "homework does not compute". He thinks that this is hilarious and likes to look in the mirror. He came home from the first day very excited. His teacher has a ton of incentives that he is all over. The rules were similar to what he was used to, so he felt like he would be ok with them. He has three pages of homework each day, and he comes up with a lot of "strategies" for completing his work. I get to hear detailed explanations of his strategies as I correct his work. I think his teacher must talk about strategy. He also reports to me every person in class who got in trouble that day and lets me know that he has yet to even receive a warning. He thinks that he is the best behaved kid in class, and might get student of the month, because he is really "displaying all of the character traits." He also started cross country, and after the first practice I asked him how he did. He said, "I did great, I ran until I couldn't." I would love to know if that meant, a few yards, half way, almost to the end? I didn't press him for that information. I want him to always think he is doing great.


Jack is also working very hard to earn his wolf badge in scouts. We only have a few more things to pass off.


Sam is in preschool. I am not sure why I didn't take pictures. Maybe later this week, and then I will post about his adventures. They are many!

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it so fun to watch your kids progress!! So great!! Until the "projects" come home that is!! Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete