Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Jack's coolest day of his life

Jack just completed a two and half week science camp.  It was something he looked forward to all summer long, and it did not disappoint.  When I picked him up on Monday, he was outside experimenting with all of the gadgets that the Science Bus had to offer.  One of them was a robot named Disco.  He was amazed that Disco knew his name, and commented on his Austin shirt.  He asked Disco if he had ever met R2D2 and said if he ever does to tell him hello.  I only had my phone, so the picture is not that great.

During his time in camp, he made gak, a compass, a weather vain, anemometer, two boats that they raced,  miniature rocket, and regular sized rocket which they launched on the final day.  They also learned about magnets and polarity, and all sorts of chemical reactions.  On the last few days, the Science Bus came with all sorts of cool things to play with, and the robot.  When I picked him up, he said it was probably the coolest day of his whole life.  He wasn't sure which was his favorite, the robot or watching them dip things like hot dogs into liquid nitrogen and throwing them on the ground to watch them shatter.  He was also very excited that his regular size rocket had several successful launches.  He worked very hard on it.  Here are some great quotes from the last few weeks:

(acting like I must be a complete idiot)  It's an anemometer, it measures wind speed. (eyes roll)
According to my calculations...
I am pretty sure I figured out how to change the polarity of a magnet (insert long theory)
I am not a farmer, but I know a thing or two about crops.
It seems like the smartest kids I know are all going to science camp.  (I told him that some of the other kids might not think it would be very fun)  His response:  They are soooo wrong.
His nightly prayers:  Please bless that my rocket will have a successful launch.  Please bless that my rocket cone will not get damaged today.
Mom, I didn't want to give Disco a high-five, because he is made of metal, but I realized that he was just holding his hand up; not hurting people.
Mom, I really want a robot, can we go to Walmart.
Do you think some day, people will have robots in their houses?
I don't think you should stop at Sonic on the way home again today, you stopped drinking coke, but you are still too addicted to sugar.

Amazingly, this was offered by the school district and totally free.  I had to send him with a notebook, an empty two liter bottle, duct tape, cereal box, and some stickers.

5 comments:

  1. That is amazing... both the free science camp & all that Jack can retain & understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. That science camp is amazing and I wish I could remember things as well as Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool!!!! My boys would have totally gone to that! And I love the responses- they are classic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer camps are super popular here. Of course Jack would love science camp...he is the smartest little boy I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks cool but the Charles Manson looking guy in the backgroud is creeping me out.

    ReplyDelete