Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Eating Crab Legs with Jack

When Tyler and I were a young married couple, we went to Red Lobster for dinner. I was just getting more adventurous in my eating habits - no more ordering cheese sandwiches off of the kids menu. Next to our table was a young family with several little kids 12 and under. Instead of ordering Mac and Cheese or chicken fingers, those kids were eating crab legs. I told Tyler that I hoped some day that I would have kids that would eat crab lets.

Last night, we were once again driving around running errands during dinner time discussing our options for eating on the road. Jack piped up and asked if we could go to Red Lobster and get crab legs. Not a quick McD run, but I couldn't refuse. I wondered if he would really eat them, or if he was just excited about the thought of eating them. He had tasted mine before, and was certain that he loved crab legs. They had them on the kids menu - who knew?

First thing to come to the table was his very own "crackers". He played with them, practicing on his nose and finger. When the crab legs came, he was thrilled. I gave him a few lessons and he just went to town. It was hilarious. He examined each leg, and gave commentary on what the crab probably used "those spikes for". He informed me that "the claws were mainly used for feeding, not attacking. However, they will use the claws for protection if needed." He wanted to know if he was eating a girl crab or boy crab. I won't share Tyler's recommendations for finding out (those of you who know Tyler, can guess). He also devoured his garlic mashed potatoes. Sam enjoyed his chicken fingers and then at the very end of the meal, said "Mom, I want lobster now." He meant crab, but it was all gone. Maybe next time...

On our way out, we made the stop at the lobster tank. The boys were going nuts. Logan was squealing. The lady at the door decided to take out a lobster an let the boys touch it. They were all over that. She actually knew a lot about lobsters and Jack asked tons of questions. He put his finger right into its little pinchers to see what it felt like. Sam wanted her take out another one and refused to leave. They both would like a pet lobster now.

For the record, I have eaten wonderful seafood at nice seafood restaurants all over the country, and I know that Red Lobster is not anything like that, but without a coast we take what we can get!

2 comments:

  1. I think that's awesome!! I have a kid who loves sushi!! Crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to bring Jack to Rickenbacker's to have the Dungeness Crab there. It comes whole and it pretty fun to see. . . and really good to eat.

    ReplyDelete