Thursday, June 3, 2010

A little perspective

I am having a guilty day. Beating myself up over working too much and not keeping up with the house work or the kids. I can't remember the last night that I cooked dinner. During lunch, I asked Sam why mommy works. He said, "because she wants to!" I asked him what does mommy get for working. He said, "Stickers!" I told him that mommy gets money for work, not stickers. I asked him what we bought with money. He said, "Toys". We talked about using money to buy food, pay for our house, clothes, and other needs. Then I asked him if it was important for mommy to work, and he said yes. I guess to Sam, he doesn't even know that a non-working mommy is even an option. He was pretty confused by the whole conversation.

A bit later, he came running to me with his stickers. He wanted to know what color I wanted. He told me if I keep going potty, I can get lots of stickers and then Grandma Gloria will take me shopping to buy some new pajamas. He loves talking about Grandma Gloria being my mom. He thinks of the funniest things.

The best part of talking to him today was when he told me the rules. He said, "I love you mommy." I said, "I love you!" He said, "No, when I say I love you mommy, you have to say I love you too." I know that this bothers him, so I like to answer in all different ways of saying that I love him, but he will not accept anything until I say, "I love you too". Then he told me, "You are my best Mom." and I told him that he was my best Sam. Then he smiled and crawled into bed for a nap. No more guilt trip. I am his best mom...and that is enough.

2 comments:

  1. There are a lot of things about our lifestyle that make me wonder if we are messing up our kids. Good reminder that they don't know any different so they won't know to blame us. . . Unless they end up in counseling some day :)

    ReplyDelete