Monday, December 14, 2009

Cannons and things

Jack really likes to donate things to charity this year. He picked out a great gift for Toys for Tots, and begs for money to put into the red kettles. Now if only, he could use his own money and not all of mine... Maybe next year.

The reason for the post is this gem. Tyler gave Jack and Sam each a quarter to put in the kettle. We were walking to the van when Jack said, "Why do those bell ringer people give all of the needy people cannons and things?" Tyler looked at me puzzled and I started figuring it all out. See to a 7 year old, the logical meaning of Salvation Army would be an Army that helps the needy people save themselves from war. I quickly explain to Tyler, and we tried really hard not to laugh at Jack. Tyler explained the other meaning of salvation and I explained the type of help that was given with the donations gathered. Jack's response was given with great disappointment, "you mean it has nothing to do with wars?" Luckily, the Marines are out in uniform gathering toys for tots. He knows all about Marines and after donating his toy to a Marine that looked like he was 14 and half my size, Jack says, "Mom, Marines are tough!" Gotta love little boys.

1 comment:

  1. I could totally see my boys saying something similar to that when they were little! Don't you just love the way they think!!!

    ReplyDelete