Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Penske + Boys = Happy

Our first week back in our old ward was an exciting one for Jack. The primary announced an activity where the kids were to make a car out of a card board box. They would bring the car to the church on Saturday and watch a movie. It was just like a drive in movie. Jack was THRILLED with this idea. He came home from church and spent several hours making these plans for a Penske truck just like the one we used to move up here. When I saw his plans, I had to laugh. In this way, Jack is just like me! I also sketch my plans before I start any of my projects. We both also enjoy lists and charts. It is fun to watch him pick up some of my tendencies. Here is a picture of the plans. My favorite part is the supply list ("ordinary box", yellow spray paint)
These plans hung on the fridge for a few weeks, then last weekend we constructed our master piece. I quickly took control of Jack's project with a few sketches of my own. I informed him that he better get used to his crazy mother taking over things. I mean, he will soon be a cubscout and if you think he gets to earn all of those things on his own, you are crazy. His poor face fell, and I told him I was just kidding (kind of). We actually worked together and he was very open to my suggestions as long as I followed the "plans". We were a little crunched for time, so it was not very extravagant. Jack loved it!!! We made it a double seater, so I did not have to make another car with Sam. Here are some pictures.
While Jack and I were building the car, Sam and Logan enjoyed an empty box that we had used for "parts".
The boys had a lot of fun at the activity. They had popcorn and watched a movie. When I arrived to pick them up, Jack had begged for some tape and was in another room "making some repairs". He also informed me that EVERYONE asked if they could climb in the back (of course it opened up), but he did not let them, because it would break the truck. An ordinary box sure can make a little boy happy.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun activity. I love that you are planning on taking over. I am the same way, poor Gracie. Jake could care less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy needs a car like that for her kindergarten class in April. Tell Jack to send me his plans.

    ReplyDelete