Sunday, March 7, 2010

We live here!

We spent a wonderful Saturday morning hiking Tubbs hill in Coeur d'Alene. This is about 7 miles from our house. It has been a while since I have been there, and it helped me remember why we love this place. I wish I had a tape recorder to capture all of the things Jack and Sam said. Jack packed 3 plastic bags (because I wouldn't let him have 5) in his pocket in case, "you know we find some bugs or a scorpion that we want to look at and enjoy for a while before we put them back..." He didn't find cool bugs or a scorpion, but he is pretty sure he found some dinosaur teeth or maybe they are just rocks, some petrified wood (also maybe a rock), an arrow head (probably just another rock), and a fossil (yep, you guessed it another rock). Sam won the contest of hilarity when he crouched down and gasped. Then he said, "Mom look what I found. It is a leaf!" or later when he got all serious, held out his hand, and said, "well, this is a rock." How about when he said, those are not dogs mom, they are "wolf pups". My favorite is when he told Tyler and me that we were super heroes because we saved him and Jack from falling. He also exclaimed that the last time he had been there was when I was in his tummy. (the kid hears everything!) They also loved exploring caves (or cracks in rocks, but there might have been a bear - maybe... or a squirrel, but probably just a rock). Some how I got to carry all of the dinosaur teeth, fossils, arrow head, and HEAVY rocks back to the car in my back pack. One baggy was used to keep a tiny buttercup flower - that ended up in my back pack too. Logan loved riding in the Kelty pack, and was apparently very comfortable.
We were not ready to head back home, so we decided to have a yummy lunch at Dockside. We turned our head for a minute to get Logan settled in his high chair, and when we turned around, this is what we found. Luckily, Tyler and I had snagged a piece of bread for ourselves already.



Jack spent his time waiting for our lunch sketching a picture of the lake. He was very serious about it. A good thing, since there was no more bread!


The family consensus is that we need to hike a lot more often. Jack has requested a weekly trip to Tubbs hill.

3 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I've just recently been thinking that we should come visit you. . . this might have sealed the deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful!!! I think I need to see it in person. :)

    I am loving all the things your boys said...SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place !! Kids are hilarious !!

    ReplyDelete