Friday, August 28, 2009

Mommy Fun Fridays

Last summer we started a fun tradition called Mommy Fun Fridays. We made a darling flower pot with popsicle stick flowers that had ideas for activities that we could do on Fridays. It was so fun that we continued it this year. I was a little too busy for a cute flower pot, so we put our ideas on slips of papers in a Ziploc bag - I was the only one disappointed with the lack of cuteness. Some Fridays didn't work out because of summer camp, swimming lessons, or vacations. Sometimes we had to cancel because of bad behavior, but today was the last Mommy Fun Friday of 2009. Jack was determined to make it work out. He woke right up and made his bed, cleaned up toys, got dressed, helped Sam get bathed and dressed, and was generally sweet to everyone in the house. Instead of drawing out the bag I gave him a choice of what he wanted to do. We had to finish last minute school shopping for lunches and the final odds and ends, so whatever we did had to allow for a trip to Walmart. He decided that he wanted to go shopping and then go to McDonalds and play for a "long time". Going "in" to McDonalds is a big deal, because I usually avoid it at all costs. It was packed today, so we had to eat in the regular dining room. Both boys ate every bite of their lunch and waited very patiently while I put the decals onto their Lego Racers. Luckily, the play area cleared out a bit, so we moved in. I let the kids play for 45 minutes. That is a LONG time for me (I had a Coke to make myself feel better). I made them use Purel and Jack told me that, "Dad never makes me do this, and I don't get sick!" After 45 minutes, my boys came right over and got their shoes on without any fits. It was like a dream... Then Jack suggested we walk across the street to Baskin Robins. Being the funnest mommy around today, I agreed and tried to look the other way while they ate their gross bubble gum ice cream (I had a chocolate/peanut butter ice cream cone to make myself feel better). I say gross, because seriously - it is disgusting to watch them spit out each piece of gum onto a napkin so that they can chew it later. They were pink from forehead to chin. We are home now, so I can do some of my Friday chores. Jack is watching TV, Logan is sleeping, and Sam is trying to nap. Here is a list of some of the other Mommy Fun Fridays this year:

  • Discovery Center

  • Zoo

  • Picnic at the park

  • Splash Park

  • Craft (they got to pick a kids crafts from Michaels and we came home and did them together)

  • Swimming

  • McDonalds play land

Tonight, Tyler is going to take the boys camping. It might just be in the back yard, but they are going to figure something out. Jack said, "I would prefer to go to the woods." Tyler is going to do the best he can depending on when he gets home from work tonight. I love the last weekend before school starts. It is so exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment